I just re-figured out the Pokemon card game.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I just re-figured out the Pokemon card game.

Post by joseph on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:52 am

Here's how it goes.

So you've got an Active Pokemon. Unlike Magic, this is the only one that fights, so it's basically a one-on-one. However, you've got a bunch of other Pokemon on standby, known as Bench Pokemon. You can play one per turn, and you can switch them out anytime as long as you have enough Energy.

Energy is interesting. It's like a mix of a land and an enchantment/equip artifact, but unlike lands, which can be used for any card, Energy is attached to a Pokemon and remains attached until the Pokemon is knocked out. The Energy can be constantly reused to fuel attacks, almost as if you're playing without emptying the mana pool at the end of each turn. You can attach Energy to your Active Pokemon or your Benched Pokemon, but like lands, only one per turn.

There are a bunch of different kinds of Energy: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Fighting, Dark, Steel, and Colorless. All the different kinds of Energy pay for their respective colors. Colorless Energy basically means you can use any kind of Energy to pay for its cost. Energy lets you attack and retreat, mainly. That's about all there is to it.

Trainer cards are the equivalent of sorceries. You don't need energy to play them, but they've got an effect on the field somehow, whether it's searching for cards, healing Pokemon, that kinda deal.

So let's move on to how combat works. Let's say we've got a Pikachu:

Let's dissect the card. On the top right is the type and the HP. In the bottom center are the attacks and how much energy they cost. On the bottom are weaknesses, resistances and retreat cost, which is basically how much Energy it takes to switch out with a Benched Pokemon.

Pikachu's Gnaw attack costs one Colorless Energy, which means you can use any color of Energy you want to attach to Pikachu in order to use the attack. Thunder Jolt, on the other hand, uses one Electric Energy as well as a Colorless, meaning you need one Electric Energy and one of any color to attack with Thunder Jolt. You can only attack once per turn, and there's summoning sickness, meaning you can't attack once you hit the field. Basically, the Pokemon keep attacking each other until they're out of HP and switch with a Benched Pokemon.

Typically, attacks are just one type with a colorless, but then you throw in fuckers like these....

And you're like, "Hold up, what the actual fuck. Charizard is a Fire-type, what's with the Steel and Electric Energies?" Who the fuck knows, the card game is a completely different species from the actual thing. Regardless, it's a bitch to gather Energy for, but with the right support, it has potential.

And while we're on this card, let's discuss PokePowers. PokePowers are basically a freebie that some cards have that let you do something: find cards, look through decks, power shit up, that kind of thing. It varies per Pokemon, but they're all free power-ups, mostly found on evolved Pokemon.

On that note, evolving works in the game. Unevolved Pokemon are known as Base Pokemon. When you draw its evolved form, you can evolve it on your turn for no costójust slap the evolved card on top of the Base Pokemon and you're ready to go. AND, there's no summoning sickness!

There are two ways to win the game: Either knock out all your opponent's active and benched Pokemon, or take their prize cards. In order to keep the game from running forever, there are Prize cards. Prize cards are basically six cards you own separate from your deck that you give up to the opponent when your Pokemon is knocked out. Hardcore players actually give the cards to them after the game, but no one's really THAT hardcore.

...Andddd that's about the gist of what I found out. Any other questions? I can entertain them c:

joseph
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1688
Registration date : 2008-07-21

GAZEBO: COMMUNISM
Character Info:
BP:
2/2  (2/2)

View user profile http://gazebo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: I just re-figured out the Pokemon card game.

Post by D.N.A. on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:39 pm

...Does this mean we all have to dust off our Pokemon binders and make a deck now?

Ginji Amano

Number of posts : 1929
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Character Info:
BP:
1/1  (1/1)

View user profile http://xombieforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1242

Back to top Go down

Post by joseph on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:58 pm

I'm so down.

joseph
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1688
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Character Info:
BP:
2/2  (2/2)

View user profile http://gazebo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by D.N.A. on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:02 pm

I dunno man....

Maybre I'll watch this one from the sidelines. I know Matthew has cards though

Ginji Amano

Number of posts : 1929
Registration date : 2008-07-26

Character Info:
BP:
1/1  (1/1)

View user profile http://xombieforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1242

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top